14 March 2010

Yesterday was good, but I'm sure it's warmer in Brazil! It's been sunny every day, with low temps just below 40 and highs just above 55 (Fahrenheit). It looks like rain on Friday maybe, but that's it.

I've walked at least 15 miles in the last two days, and it feels like more. There are really just two "hard" days of sightseeing days left, then I can recharge in the middle of next week relaxing on the beach in Mallorca. It might be 60 degrees and windy, but I'll be on that beach!

Saturday started out with a good early morning run up to Montjuic and around all the gardens and buildings from the 1992 Olympics. Then I came back, showered, and had breakfast. After that it was back up the hill, this time via cable car. The first stop was the Joan Miro museum, one of the premier Spanish artists of the 20th century. He worked in a lot of different media (painting, drawing, textiles, ceramics) and had a few recurring themes through most of his work, usually women, birds, and stars. They didn't have an audioguide, but let's just say I didn't have to read his biography to see he had some issues with women. Still, some pretty good stuff. Then I walked over to the Olympic stadium for a closer look, and walked through the Olympic museum. Honestly, it was kinda cheesy, I mean why are Formula One and bocce ball in the Olympic museum but wrestling isn't? It was around lunchtime then, so I walked down the backside of the Mont for a bocadillo. From there I meandered over to Museu Picasso, and was thoroughly impressed. His early representational stuff is incredible, even more so when you figure he was doing all this between age 13 and 30. I liked the "out there" paintings too, especially after seeing the context of his life story and a little of the why behind them.

Today is Sunday, so it will be a day to visit some famous houses of worship in Barcelona: La Sagrada Familia, Le Catedral, and Camp Nou (if you don't get the joke, you will in the recap tomorrow).

No comments: